Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

My husband was honorably discharged in April. He has been…

Customer Question
My husband was honorably...

My husband was honorably discharged in April. He has been dishonest regarding his mental health issues and has been destructive since his discharge. He also committed adultery. Is he able to be held accountable ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside I have taken him to the VA and he has admitted to his psychological issues and many suicidal thoughts and attempts

Lawyer's Assistant: I'm sorry if I'm reading you wrong here, but it seems as though you might be considering committing suicide or hurting yourself. Am I right?

No he has

Lawyer's Assistant: Okay. Let's try this again. How can I help you? Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Yes I went to the VA and spoke to someone and nothing was done

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He threw me and our dog out left us homeless and began the divorce proceedings.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Military Law
12/29/2017
Military Lawyer: LawyerDavid, Attorney replied 1 month ago
LawyerDavid
LawyerDavid, Attorney

Hello: my name is ***** ***** I am very sorry for what has occurred with you and your husband. I am not certain as to your question, but I think you are asking whether your husband can be held accountable by the Military since he was honorably discharged after being dishonest about mental health issues and adultery. If you are asking about that, the answer is most likely no, he cannot be held accountable by the military in this particular scenario. However, if there is additional information about what he said or did to get honorably discharged this answer may change, but unlikely unless he lied about something relevant to get the discharge.

Aside from that, however, your husband can be held accountable for kicking you out of the house and making you homeless. You own equal rights to the place you are living and he has no right to kick you out of the home. If there is risk of assault or something happening between the two of you I would suggest calling the police and having him removed from the home by being taken to jail. You should also retain an attorney if possible for the divorce to try and make sure your interests are protected. I hope this help you. Please feel free to post any follow up you may have and I will be happy to respond further. Best, David

LawyerDavid
LawyerDavid
LawyerDavid, Attorney