Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I just received my 100% disability from VA. What is the law…

Customer Question
I just received my...

I just received my 100% disability from VA. What is the law concerning back income becoming non-income. I have hear the name Strickland ruling but I can not find it to confirm if that is it or not. I was awarded back to July 1, 2015 in back disability and I need this answer for my tax auditor who does not know this rule as I have asked her. Thank you for your help and consideration in this matter.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in Washington State but I am retired military and this concerns my federal law as I do not pay state tax here

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have all ready filed my 2015,2016 and I am getting read to file my 2017 tax return. I have a letter from the VA administration stating I am at 100% disability and now all of my Naval pay will be going to VA as I cannot receive both from the government, only 1 as the VA makes it non-taxable income

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Ok tks

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/28/2017
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 3 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am very familiar with VA rules (I served as a VSO-veterans services officer for some time). But not sure I understand your question. What do you mean

What is the law concerning back income becoming non-income.

What is it you want to understand about this?

As I said I just received my 100% rating dating back to 1July 2015. I have filed taxed for 2015 and 2016 and am getting ready for 2017. In 2007 I had a similar situation but the CPA I was using at that time got my tax returned amended for 2005 and 2006 to make what I have received in taxable pay from my naval retirement pension to be a non-taxable pay due to the VA disability rating. I don't have my 2006 return as it was lost in shipment from Guam to the U.S. when I moved here in 2013. I remember the name of as being the Strickland rule but I can not remember to IRS code for it. All I know at this point is the ruling allows me to have my income from the naval retirement pension that was taxable now becomes a non-taxable income
base on my new rating of disability dating back to 1 July 2015. I have to submit amended tax returns using this IRS code and the VA letter. I have to send it in paperwork as it cannot be filed electronically. This what I am looking for and I hope I have explained it to you so you can find the code or the ruling so I can print it out and send it in with my amended returns and my 2017 return. Thank you for your consideration and help in this matter.

Thank you

What "code" are you referring to?

forget it I will find it myself somehow.

I wish you the best...

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer