Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

Just trying to see... I met a girl... enlisted in the air…

Customer Question
Just trying to see.....

Just trying to see... I met a girl... enlisted in the air force reaerve. I am a 18 year major in the air force active. Trying to figure out if this is even possible?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Military Law
12/28/2017
Military Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question. Are you saying that she's under 18 and asking if minors can enlist?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am an 18 year major in the air force and I met a wonderful woman is enlisted in the Air Force reserves. I am trying to understand if this falls under the fratranation laws since she is in the reserves?

Thank you.

The statute prohibits fraternization between an officer and an enlisted member of the Air Force, but I'm not finding anything where "enlisted" is defined. It's not clear whether reservists were intended to be covered. I'm going to opt out and see if someone else knows where to find this.

Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

The policy, as written, makes no exceptions for active/reserve relationships. It does note, not with fraternization but with other rules concerning unprofessional relationships, that command must take into consideration reserve status, but that is in regards ***** ***** where both members are reserve and have met in their non-military time.

The language that seems to be the most problematic for your situation is "[t]he custom against fraternization in the Air Force extends beyond organizational and chain of command lines. In short, it extends to all officer/enlisted relationships."

As always, the issue would be what actions, if any, your command chose to take. I feel that they could take action, but that doesn't mean they have to or will. At 18 years, that is a risk though.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer