Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My father just passed away last Tuesday, and I'm trying to…

Customer Question
My father just passed...

My father just passed away last Tuesday, and I'm trying to figure out if my dad had SGLI or if he converted it to a private life insurance

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No, He's retired

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My dad passed away on Tuesday, he was in the Navy for 30 years and was wondering if my mother is entitled to anything else besides the SBP

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/28/2017
Military Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. I am reviewing your question.

First, I am sorry for your loss.

SGLI allows for a spouse to be named as a beneficiary. If the spouse is not named, the spouse would have received notice. So, it is a possibility that your Mother is named as a beneficiary. And if not, she would have gotten notice of it. If your Father did not put anyone as a beneficiary, then your Mother (if still the spouse at the time of his death), would be entitled to the insurance.

Let me know if this answers your question.

Thank you. I was wondering if there’s a way for us to find out if he converted his SGLI to a private insurance?

Just a reminder, Servicemembers covered under the SGLI program have the option to convert their SGLI coverage to an individual policy of insurance within 120 days from the date of separation from the military.

Since your Father passed, you could attempt to find information on it. Usually, they would want a copy of the death certificate and possibly a letter or form from the court of the person who is representing his estate.

If you need anything further, just let me know.

Hello again:

I am just checking in to see how things are going. Have I answered all your questions? Has this been helpful to you?

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney