Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

If I claim my granddaughter as a dependent I can transfer my…

Customer Question
If I claim my...

If I claim my granddaughter as a dependent I can transfer my benefit. Does that mean I would have to claim her in her senior year of high school even though she lives with her parents. The plan right now is that she will be living with me while she attends college in my county.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sorry texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No just found out about this benefit and doing research on the internet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just want to see if this is a viable solution to transferring my unused benefit to a granddaughter. I was discharged in 1972.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Military Law
12/25/2017
Military Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 4 months ago
Edward Young

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Is your question about transferring your GI Bill educational benefit?

Generally, educational benefits only apply to the son, daughter or spouse of a disabled or deceased veteran who was injured or died during active service in the military. Veterans' benefits for education have some stringent guidelines and generally apply to children of disabled veterans ages 18 to 26, although there are some exceptions. If a grandchild has been adopted by the grandparent, however, a call should be made to the Department of Veterans Affairs at(###) ###-#### Adopted children are typically eligible for these benefits. Grandchildren can also sign up for the military and be eligible for work study type benefits under the GI Bill.

I hope this helps.

Please go ahead and rate me. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

This is about the Hazelwood Act in the state of Texad
Texas. Lol
Military Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 4 months ago

Yes. Under the Hazelwood Act, the veteran must provide confirmation to the institution that the grandchild was claimed on the latest year’s tax return, or that the child was legally adopted.

Merry Christmas!

Please go ahead and rate me. I get no credit for my work unless you do.

Next question. My enlistment entry home was Philadelphia but when I discharged my home address is Texas and I am considered a Texas Veteran. Does that meet one of the eligibility requirements?
Military Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 4 months ago

You may not be eligible. Under the requirements of the Hazleton Act, you must:

"At the time of entry into active duty the U.S. Armed Forces,

• designated Texas as Home of Record;
    • or entered the service in Texas;
    • or was a Texas resident;”

There are other requirements listed here; https://www.tvc.texas.gov/education/hazlewood-act/

Although you may not qualify for the Hazleton Act educational benefits, there are other organizations that might provide the needed aid for your grandchild. The Veterans of War Society and the Mike Nash Memorial Scholarship Fund are just two of the programs available to grandchildren of war veterans that might offer significant financial aid for college or trade and vocational schools. The Mike Nash Memorial Scholarship was started in 1991. The program is specifically geared to veterans from the Vietnam War, which is also the war in which Mike Nash served and was disabled. The scholarship is for dependent children, grandchildren, and orphans and widows of veterans who died during the Vietnam War and is for an undergraduate degree. Scholarships are for a one-year period and an application includes writing an essay.

Every state has local chapters of bigger organizations such as the American Legion or Veterans of Foreign Wars. These posts often offer scholarships for the children and grandchildren of members. Check your local chapter offices to find out what scholarships might be available and the best way to apply. Even small scholarships can help cover the cost of book rental or food and housing. The grandparent has paid for these programs with membership dues and service to his country, so grandchildren of war veterans should take advantage of these educational benefits.

Here are some general links to educational funding for grandkids:

http://faq.vfw.org/faq/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=485

http://www.eduinreview.com/scholarships/mike-nash-scholarship-program-221440/

https://www.sapling.com/8760583/gi-grants-grandchildren

https://www.texvet.org/scholarships

I hope those links may provide you with more resources to help your grandchild.

Please go ahead and rate me. I get no credit for the work that I have done for you until you do.

Can my granddaughter get the Hazelwood Act if her grandfather who is a tX vet but is deceased due to a horrible traffic accident?
Military Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 4 months ago

Are we talking about the same grandchild? If so, she would not qualify because, at the time he entered service, her grandfather was not a Texas resident, designated Texas as Home of Record, or entered the service in Texas. Also, she needed to be adopted by her grandfather or claimed as a dependent in the current or previous tax year by her grandfather. See this link for more information: https://www.tvc.texas.gov/education/hazlewood-act/#GQsHhsjN

Edward Young
Edward Young
Edward Young