Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My mother in law just lost her husband who was WWII vet. Is…

Customer Question
My mother in law just...
My mother in law just lost her husband who was WWII vet. Is there any military benefits to help her with renting a low income apartment?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Military Law
12/22/2017
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 4 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

There are benefits available to a widow of a war time veteran. The primary benefit (most well known) is called "pension". This is a needs based benefit (it is welfare...so there is a means test)...if her income, including social security, is less than approx $900/mo she will qualify for the pension benefit.

The other benefit that could apply is called DIC (dependents indemnity compensation). This is an annuity of approx #1200/mo that is provided to widows whose spouse dies of a service connected injury. In other words, if his cause of death was related to his military service? She would qualify for the benefit.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer