Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I will be separating from the Navy in a year. This is my…

Hi, I will be...

Hi, I will be separating from the Navy in a year. This is my second enlistment. Will I have to do any reserve time after and/or is there a time frame where I may be recalled?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Informally

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How much are the fees?

12/20/2017
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

The reserve time applies to the first enlistment...EVERY enlisted contract is 8 years...a portion active or reserve and the remainder in the IRR (individual ready reserve)

Once you pass that 8 year mark? there is no more IRR requirement.

So if 8 or more years have passed when you reach your end of active contract next year, then you have no IRR obligation

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer