Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

My fiance is a MSGT in the Army on Peacekeeping Mission in…

Customer Question
My fiance is a...

My fiance is a MSGT in the Army on Peacekeeping Mission in AFGHANISTAN. He has 28 years in. I have filled outbfirms requesting him to come home for 4 months as his fiance. He said i need to be with him at the base since i sm his beneficiary in order fir hus funds to be released. Is this true

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

I am stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Only him

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He said his CO aporoved it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Military Law
12/16/2017
Military Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. Sadly, you are being targeted for a scam. Nothing this person (who is not in the military at all despite what they have told you) is true. In other words, you have developed a relationship with a cyber criminal who is likely physically located in either Africa or Eastern Europe and who's sole purpose is to groom your relationship until such time as they say that they need money to do something.

The truth is that if they are deployed, they are not going to be able to come home for 4 months period. That is the whole point of being deployed. The only leave that you will get is emergency certified by the Red Cross for a very short time when an immediate family member (not fiancee) is in critical medical health.

The second lie is that even if leave was granted, there is never a requirement that any servicemember pay any sort of fee or tax or any other expense such as what you described. '

I understand that this is disappointing to you, but it is actually quite common. You can read more about these types of scams, and how to report them, by going to the following link: http://www.cid.army.mil/romancescam.html

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could reply to this answer and let me know that I covered your question, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 16th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer