Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

When there is no surviving spouse but several surviving

Customer Question
When there is no...

When there is no surviving spouse but several surviving children, must the flag, according to tradition, go to the oldest

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Alaska

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Cemetary Director states that the flag will be given to the oldest surviving son.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. I just don't want there to be any bad feelings among several sons.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Military Law
12/16/2017
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 2 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Tradition does dictate that the oldest child is next of kin (if there is no surviving spouse)

From a practical standpoint, the VA will provide one flag, as a memorial, to honor veterans...whomever applies for this will be issued (the VA does not check to make sure they are the oldest)

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.Do you have more questions regarding this?Thanks for your understanding
Phil
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer