Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

If i gave my landlord a copy of my pcs orders and paid the…

Customer Question
If i gave my...

If i gave my landlord a copy of my pcs orders and paid the rent do i still have to pay the entire month i was not living in the apartment?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Its rim creek apartments in fayetteville NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No i am on PCS leave

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

So i paid my rent on the 6 of november which is past the due date that same day i gave them the copy of my orders and the writen 30 day notice does that affect anything?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Military Law
12/15/2017
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Under the SCRA, when you give a landlord your notice and orders, the lease is not broken until 30 days following the next date that rent is due.

So, if your rent was due Nov 1, and you didn't give them notice until Nov 6, then your termination wouldn't be effective until 30 days after Dec 1, because that would be the next due date following the day you gave notice.

So yes, giving them the notice after that due date rather than before it pushed your legal responsibility a month further.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.