Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I am a army veteran. I have a disabled 40 year old who is…

Customer Question
I am a army...

I am a army veteran. I have a disabled 40 year old who is mentally handicapped since birth. Is she entitled to any benefits under my name?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

South Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No, my ex-wife just ask me to find out. She takes care of my daughter.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just want to know what she would be entitled to if anything

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Military Law
12/13/2017
Military Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 5 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

If she has been disabled since birth, have you sought to apply for social security disability benefits under your benefits for her yet? That is one benefit.

The VA does not really have any benefits for her I am afraid, it would need to be through Social Security. The VA has some dependent benefits but it involves dying in action, which obviously does not apply here.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney