Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I have been corresponding to a capt in the army that is in…

Customer Question
I have been corresponding...

I have been corresponding to a capt in the army that is in Afghanistan that wants me to send him two thousand dollars in a dollars to western union or money gram

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I got a email supposedly from Lt Gen John F Campbell

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Military Law
12/12/2017
Military Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

This is a scam... pure and simple.. We see this exact scam a few dozen times a week on the site.. A person is engaging in chat or emailing with the scammer who says they are in the military and are stuck overseas on some special mission and can't get back to the US to see the victim, or need money for the mission, or some other false reason.

.

And it is always requested Western Union, Money Gram, Money Pak or Green Dot because these are untraceable sources.

.

Please don't sent the scammer any money because it will be gone... these people are professional criminals and sit in foreign countries and try to scam victims all day long..

.

Google "military scam overseas" and you will see lots of stories about people who got taken... Please don't be one of them..

.

.

thanks

Thank you the phone number the gentleman gave me was(###) ###-####which is a number in Maryland

Yes, they might have local Google phone numbers, but the bounce them out of the country... It is very easy to do because when you call that number it forwards to the overseas number..

.

It is a scam...pure and simple..

Barrister, Attorney