Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

How hard is it to change an re3 to a re1 for thw marine

Customer Question
How hard is it...

How hard is it to change an re3 to a re1 for thw marine corps. Also how much does it cost?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Military Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

All im wanting to do is serve my country in the marine corps and it seems like i can never have my chance with an re3f

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I have talked to recruiters and i spoke to the lady at the va, recruiters always shut me down and the va told me that it hard to change

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Im really just worried about the cost

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Military Law
12/12/2017
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

It is exceedingly difficult to get an RE code changed. They are intended to be a permanent reflection of your previous service history. To have one changed you have to file a DD Form 149 with the military records corrections board and prove that your original RE code was either an error or an injustice at the time it was given.

To show error, you basically have to prove that the RE code you got wasn't actually available for the basis of your discharge. To prove injustice, you'd have to show some sort of disregard for evidence you presented that showed you shouldn't be separated or some sort of illegal motivation in giving you the RE-3 (like racism).

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

im not paying 44 dollars for this im sorry how to i cancel this

Was there something that I didn't address for you?

What questions do you have that I failed to respond to?

I just feel like 44 dollars is a waste for something the v a already told me. They marine corps thinks im suicidal which i am very far from it (why would the government issue me a handgun carry permit if i was suicidal?)i looked the code up it says im pregnant which if thats true they should write a book or something about me because im a guy. iv been trying to get back in for 7 years and no matter what i do or who i talk to i always get shut down. All i want to do is serve my country..and im worried everytime i send a message on here its going to keep charging me money which i only have 40 more dollars to run me the rest of the week

I can't really help what the VA may already have told you. All I can do is tell you the law as it is and hope that you accept that.

Now, you bring up an interesting point. If the code says you are pregnant, that shows that the code is an error. Now, they may end up deciding that it doesn't matter and they'll change it to the correct RE-3, but it gives you a better angle to go in and discuss the matter with them.

I understand that you just want to serve your country, but with an RE-3 code you can't do so until it is corrected.

As for continuing charges, you are only charged once you accept an answer and only that one time.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer