Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I have a question concerning SCRA laws in the state of

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a question concerning SCRA laws in the state of Maryland regarding Joint leases.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I have not, My question is when I break my Lease using SCRA will my civilian roomate break the lease also. Or would he be liable to pay the whole rent?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No M'am

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Military Law
12/11/2017
Military Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Hello

Thanks so much for your patience. Generally, the SCRA protects service members in situations where they need to break their lease. Two people to a lease are responsible both jointly and severally for the amount that is due on the lease. Roommates of individuals that are protected under SCRA are not eligible to be protected. In your case, unfortunately, your roommate is going to be liable for the whole rent.

Your roommate may want to consider getting a new lease with the landlord with just their name on it so that way he can pay a little bit less and you can always help your roommate out until the end of the lease; however, he is not protected. What other questions did you have for me today?

Is that true also in the state of Maryland, I know that some states don't hold the other tenants liable.

Let me verify....

In Florida even though the SCRA only includes dependents many judges will still terminate the lease for all tenants.

Ok, so in Maryland, it only extends to family members, not roommates unfortunately. For some more information, you can click here and see the People's Law Library (a trusted source) for more information on this. The law is only intended to protect people such as yourself. I'm very sorry. Did you have any other questions for me?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further before you rated. If you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know.