Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Can an Army commander release personal medical information,

Customer Question
Can an Army commander...

Can an Army commander release personal medical information, during a 15-6 investigation? The investigation does not have anything to do with service members medical history

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Yes, I explained that this violated Hippa, but I was ignored.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Military Law
12/11/2017
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

There is typically a command HIPAA exemption and an investigatory exemption. You can make a complaint to the IG, if you wish, explaining that the release was not relevant to the investigation. It is possible that the IG would agree and see that as an overstep by command.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.