Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

If I ask my questions will it remain confidential? My

Customer Question
If I ask my...

If I ask my questions will it remain confidential?

Lawyer's Assistant: We keep all your personally identifiable information confidential and even have people that double check to make sure something doesn't slip through. Your question goes out to the Military Lawyer's and then gets published with the answer to help others with similar problems.

My husband and I have known each other since February 2015 We got married in December 2016 and he deployed in February 2017. There appears to be some signs that I was tricked into this marriage so he could get paid more with the additional benefits that come with having a spouse/dependent

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

We got married in Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Well, I tried to call IG to make a complaint because he hasn't given me any financial support since we've been married. I got this recommendation from JAG, I was told to go to JAG by a chaplain I tried calling the chain of command but I haven't gotten a call back

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I honestly don't think I was tricked into a marriage I think my husband developed bipolar depression but I want to see what my options are

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Military Law
I have been creating a timeline of events from the beginning of my relationship to now. I have text messages that are clear evidence that my husband acknowledges our marriage, is happy to be married to me and works things out with me when we have our occasional disagreements. As deployment went on, he began to get more short tempered, kept accusing me of cheating and lying about where I said I was, would get frustrated with me when I wasn't texting him back quick enough and the fight that was the icing on the cake for him was because I forgot to tell him where I was for an hour when I spent the day with my girlfriend. He then ignored me and told me to stay home and I wasn't moving anywhere with him (I came home to Hawaii while he was deployed, we are stationed in Colorado). This was after I quit my job in Hawaii, found a job that was waiting for me in Colorado and began to look at apartments we would like. I have not received any financial support from the time we have been married because I always had my own income and didn't know that the additional pay he got was supposed to be used to support his family (me). I called Military One Source and they set me up with a therapist, my therapist suggest I talk to a chaplain to help any underlying issues with my marriage. Chaplain is disturbed that I didn't know that my husband hasn't been supporting me whether or not I was employed, he was upset that my husband didn't tell me about FRG before deployment, that I should have had some power of attorney and that there was no command sponsorship set up for me to move to our duty station.
I learned that my husband came back from deployment through a chaplain in Colorado where we are stationed. I have to ask for money to pay my bills and last week he told me to show him the actual statements that I needed money for. Me asking him for money was never an issue and he was more than willing to be helpful, until now. This is the third time he's threatened me with divorce, the first time around it was because I wasn't texting him back fast enough when I was hanging out with my friends, the second time around was because he didn't like what I was wearing and he thought it was "shady" that I wasn't wearing my silicone wedding ring, this time, as I said before, was because i forgot to tell him where I was for an hour out of my day. Contrary to what the chaplains and JAG attorney are saying, I don't think I was tricked into a "contract marriage". I have a gut feeling that my husband developed a bipolar or manic depression while being deployed. It seems as though he lost touch of reality and I cannot convince him that he is painting scenarios in his own head.
I don't want to divorce my husband but he is neglecting me...he is not seeing how bad this can be if he continues to behave like this and not talk to someone to get his head on straight.
12/10/2017
Military Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

What is your question for us, because based on what you describe that is going on there really is one option all of that bad conduct and mental abuse is leading you towards?

Have you gone to counseling yet which you could get through family services?