Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My husband blind sided me with wanting a divorce. He is Army…

Customer Question
My husband blind sided...

My husband blind sided me with wanting a divorce. He is Army National Guard, been married for nine years. I'm wondering about financial stuff. Am I allowed to have any of his retirement? We have two kids. I just want to be able to provide for them.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

When he moved units he never gave me any info on who to contact. He became secretive

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that comes to mind

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Military Law
12/8/2017
Military Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 4 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You have to be married with him for ten years while he is in the military in order to be entitled to portion of his military retirement benefits. For more information, click here. However, you would be entitled to spousal support and child support pursuant to your State's guidelines. If you own any marital assets, those would also be divided pursuant to your State's laws.

You may need to retain the services of a divorce Attorney to assist you with the case.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Consumeradvocates.org

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law