Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I was in the Marine corps 1984-1988,(honorable discharged).

Customer Question
I was in the...

I was in the Marine corps 1984-1988,(honorable discharged). Later on I enlisted in the army reserve, with no activation. 1996-2000(honorable discharge). I have worked for 22 years in my job, I have had multiple sclerosis for 18 years. I am now on short term disability through work. I have been diagnosed since 1999. Wanted to ask if the VA would offer disibility. Or would I be SOL. Thank you. Regards

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Its been so long for Marine corps and Army reserve unit has disbanded.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No questions currently come to mind. Thanks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Military Law
I just looked at my discharge paper from Marine Corp and it is 1992. Don’t know if that matters
My DD214 has separation date 12/ 1988 and reserve obligation date10/1992
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/8/2017
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 4 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Marine, can you tell me, how old are you currently? And, is your disability related to your service?

Hello, I’m 51. I dug around and saw on a VA MS Centers of Excellence website and it states “ MS is a presumptive condition and a veteran would be eligible if they were diagnosed within 7 years after honorable discharge. I really don’t know the difference between separation and discharge ( What the VA means anyway) thanks

The VA means that if you had the condition diagnosed within 7 years of discharge from active service. IF the diagnosis was made within that time? The VA will presume your MS is caused by service.

But even if you did not get the diagnosis till later, you may still be able to qualify...

I am going to loose connectivity in a min...but will respond back in approx 10 mins

Thanks for your patience...
If you have any evidence that links your MS to your service? You can, and should, apply for VA compensation.

Can you speak on the phone? This would allow me to address your concerns directly. There is a nominal ($5) additional charge. I do not time my phone calls...we can converse until you receive the information you need.

Honestly, I don’t even no that there could be any links to service, since there has not been any conclusions how anyone gets MS. I did research many theories, but that’s all they have. One very interesting theory is that it could be a viral infection like Epstein- Barre. I got Encephalitis at Paris Island,which is a manifestation . But alas, just theory. I’ll just try my hand at SSI. Thanks

IF you qualify for SSI, you may also qualify for "pension". IF you served in the Marine Corps in 1990/91, you were part of the "gulf war" period...and you can qualify for VA pension. This is similar to SSI, it is needs based, but it pays more than SSI

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer