Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My son and daughter in law have been married less than a…

Customer Question
My son and daughter...

My son and daughter in law have been married less than a year and live in California. It appears they may file for divorce before their one year anniversary. How will his retirement funds from the military be affected?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I have not but I have advised him to do so.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am just trying to get my son to realize the importance of speaking to someone as soon as possible.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Military Law
12/7/2017
Military Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear they are going through this.
CA is a community property state which means that all property earned during marriage, including pensions and retirement funds, are divided 50/50 between the parties; the husband is entitled to that portion of the wife's pension that accrued during marriage, and vice versa.

Here is information here on military pensions

Often the spouses will buy each other out or waive one another's interest in the pension if the contributions are similar in amount.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer