Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Overseas

Customer Question
Overseas Lawyer's Assistant: Have...

Overseas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Yes

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Military Law
I was flagged for promotion from CPT to MAJ. I made MAJ in 2015 and was unable to pin until 2017. When will my next promotion board meet and what do I consider my Time in Grade TIG to be 2015 until now or 2017 until now?
12/7/2017
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 6 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Some context may help...can you provide some?

I needed to get something expunged off my civilian record before I was able to actually Pin on MAJ in 2017. However I made the MAJ list and was promotable in 2015. So my questions are How long is one a MAJ in the Army before promotion board meets in the Zone and how long do I have TIG? Does my TIG start in 2015 or when I actually pinned in 2017?

Are you on active duty? Or are you in the selected reserve?

I am in the National Guard guard currently on title 10 orders.

Active duty...thank you

Your TIG start when you promote. Not when you were selected, or eligible...but when the promotion is effected (when you "pin" the rank and get paid)

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

I received back pay from 2015 once the legal issue was resolved and my promotion orders say 2015.

If you were paid from 2015 as a major? Then your TIG starts then. TIG is tied to pay...when you get paid for the grade? You are in the grade