Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I was questioned by about an incident almost 2 years ago and…

Customer Question
I was questioned by...

I was questioned by CID about an incident almost 2 years ago and never heard anything back after that. My Commander never asked me about it or said anything to me about being questioned. How do I know if the investigation is still opened or closed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

I was overseas at the time of question, but I have PCS’d and now stateside.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No, my previous Commander didn’t say anything to me about being questioned and I have since PCS’d and my new Commander has not said anything to me about it.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/5/2017
Military Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Any investigation must be completed in a reasonable time, under regulations. So if you have not been charged or otherwise contacted within 180 days or less of any investigation results, this generally means the investigation has been terminated. Also, in most all cases they will not allow you to PCS under an open investigation, so the fact you were allowed to PCS means you are not a target of any investigation any longer.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Can I be contacted about the investigation after I separate from the military even if it has been terminated?

Thank you for your reply.

IF the investigation is closed there is no reason for them to contact you, but any time CID contacts you, you would have to cooperate with them.

Is there any sure way to know if the investigation has been terminated since it’s been 2 years? I was questioned only one time and that was Jan 2016. Since then, I have never been contacted again or spoken to regarding the investigation.

Thank you for your reply.

They do not have to disclose anything about the investigation. So while you can call them and ask them about the investigation, they may or may not tell you. Since you never were spoken to again, it is in all likelihood closed so it is up to them as to whether they want to tell you or not.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney