Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I received a contract with the Department of Veterans

Customer Question
I received a contract...

I received a contract with the Department of Veterans Affairs which uses the Davis Bacon Wage Act for hourly wages for plumbers. I have a couple of one year apprentices and 3 year apprentices. We are a non union shop and our apprentices are not in a registered apprentice program how does the department of labor standardize each year of their wages.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

Negative we are a small contractor.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was told that with the Department of labor if they are doing any kind of plumbing they are paid to be plumbers so that would make a 6 month plumbing trainee get the same compensation as a 7 year plumber.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/5/2017
Military Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Apprentices and trainees may be paid outside of the prevailing wage only upon submission to the USDOL requesting a wage determination based on their duties and whether or not they are in a recognized apprenticeship program or trainee program approved by the Department of Labor. If you submit a wage determination request in advance for trainees or apprentices, then US DOL would set the appropriate standard based on their duties and functions which you must submit to the US DOL.

See: https://www.dol.gov/whd/programs/dbra/faqs/trainees.htm

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.