Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My daughter is on a lease in Hawaii but has recently gotten…

Customer Question
My daughter is on...

My daughter is on a lease in Hawaii but has recently gotten married to a service members that has received orders to California. Does the spouse have protection under the civil relief act if the military member does not live at the residence and is not on the lease?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Hawaii, my answer must be Hawaii specific please

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Any links to specific laws that protect spouse in this situation so we can use it to get out of a lease.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Military Law
12/4/2017
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 4 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

this depends...is the member on the lease as well?

Before we move forward, do you have experience in renters laws and can you show me supporting documentation for your response?

I do have such experience...do you have specific questions relating to this?

Do you have Hawaii renters law experience my answer must be Hawaii specific with supporting documentation or links to support for your answer. We want to be able to terminate a lease. The contract states," Military Tenants: if TENANT's military orders requires a change of TENTANT's residence to some place off the island for 60 days or more, TENTANT may end this rental agreement by giving Landlord wrtieent twenety eight day in advance. Accompanied by a copy of the written order."

I do...

But what do you mean "links"??

What is it you want linked to?

My questions are:1. Does the civil relief act apply to spouses of service members that have a change in orders?
2. Where is the supporting documentation that we can use to terminate a lease based on these orders?
Proof, laws that support your statements. If you tell me that yes it applies or no it does not then please supply the source for your answers.

I will send the offer for additional services, if you accept I can provide you the information you are requesting.

I am only asking for you to support your answer with a source so that we know that your answer is based on law and not an opinion. I should not have to pay extra to know your answers are based on current law. For example:This url will support an answer because it calls the State Title that supports the argumenthttp://codes.findlaw.com/hi/division-3-property-family/

I have taken a look at your history...in 10 questions you have not accepted one time...is there a reason for this? Folks like me only get paid if you accept...

that is not the case. I have been using this service for many years and have a history for paying each time. I have used the same attorney for all questions relating to a previous suit and his and my agreement was very clear. He was paid for each answer that he provided under those terms.
I am asking for you to support your answer with proof such as state statute so that I know if it is valid and not opinion. Just answer claims that this cost is $47 including the $5 deposit. Getting an opinion does not help me terminate a lease due to the service member receiving orders to California and my daughter (his wife) is on the lease. I want to know if the Civil relief act and/or Hawaii law applies to the spouse of a service member when attempting to terminate a residential lease.
I want to know the following:
1. Does the spouse of s service member get protection under Civil Relief Act, 50 App. U.S.C.A. § § 501 when the service member gets orders to another state? The service member was not on the lease and is a new marriage. When the renter started the agreement lease they were not married. They are recently married and the service member now has orders to a new location. Does this ACT protect the spouse of the service member to be able to terminate the lease?
Military Lawyer: N Cal Atty, Military Law Answer Team replied 4 months ago
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Military Law Answer Team

Thank you for your question.

Is the servicemember living at the leased property? Has the landlord accepted rent from him?

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer