Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My husband is deploying in february and we need to add amend…

Customer Question
My husband is deploying...

My husband is deploying in february and we need to add amend our sons birthcertificate and add my husband who is his dad. we already paid 400 outta pocket for a paternity test and we need a judge to sign off. but now the court are makeing us do a whole paternity case. which we dont need or have the time for! i dont know what else to do. we live together we are married and we just need my husbands name on the birthcertificate

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Kansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Yes they told us we just needed to do a paternity test and a judge would sign off on it and now the courts are saying we have to go through a whole paternity case.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

And we dont have the money to pay for court fees or a lawyer we are trying to just add him to the birth cerificate

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Military Law
12/4/2017
Military Lawyer: rayanswers, Military Law Answer Team replied 7 months ago
rayanswers
rayanswers, Military Law Answer Team

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

If the child is under the age of 18 years of age, and there is no father or second parent listed on the birth certificate, and the mother or parent listed was not married to anyone at any time between conception and the birth of the child, both parents can appear before a judge of district court in any Kansas county and complete a Paternity Consent Form for Birth Registration called a VS211.PDF Format :: Word Format.

You are not required to have an attorney to appear before the judge and there is no court cost.
Contact the clerk of the district court to set up an appointment for both parents to appear in order to complete this form. The parents will need to take a certified copy of the child’s birth certificate and some form of identification. Once the form has been completed at the courthouse, including the judge’s signature, the clerk will mail it to our office.

You can do this yourself.The forms is set out above.Judge has to sign off here to add the father to birth certificate.Its not hard here you just have to follow the law.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.I wish you the best here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

They will amend the birth certificate once you have judge sign off.