Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Question. I have been in the military for the past two and a…

Customer Question
Question. I have been...

Question. I have been in the military for the past two and a half years now, but at the same time been dating someone for the past 4 years since highschool and been together since joining and myself being here. She is currently 17 and I am 21, we've been thinking about marriage. Would I be in any violations if we were to get married while I'm still in service but also have parental consent to comply with state law?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am currently in North Carolina, stationed on Camp Lejeune and she's back at home in Colorado.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I have not, I've just been doing research on my own to know a little more before actually getting married. Don't want to get married if myself or her don't know what we're getting into and kind of just talking about it. But, as for talking to my chain of command, not quite yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. What would be the difference if we were to get married off-base vice possibly getting married on base through the chaplain?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Military Law
12/2/2017
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

In the military, the legal age of consent is considered 16 unless the state in question has a higher one. North Carolina has 16 as the age, so in that state it is fine.

You would just need parental consent for marriage.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer