Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I know a Marine that is in a tight spot with a NJP on

Customer Question
Second opinion] I know a...
Second opinion] I know a Marine that is in a tight spot with a NJP on Adultery. Can they still charge him with Adultery if his Ex wife signed the divorce papers but weren't filed yet? No one physically saw the Marine having sexual intercourse, all they have is someone claiming that the Marine is dating another woman. The Marine and his Ex wife also have been separated for quite some time, both living in different states.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Military Law
11/29/2017
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Allen M., Esq.

I have to admit that I am confused. You asked me a question, I responded.

You then asked me for a second opinion on the question that I answered already and asked for a refund of the payment, without any sort of explanation.

It doesn't change the fact of my legal answer though and I'm not sure what you are asking the question for if you are not seeking the actual legal answer.

Filing for divorce does not free a person to engage in a relationship. Being separated does not either. The law is very clear on what it takes, and it takes a completed divorce with a divorce decree. Until that happens, any romantic relationship outside of the marriage is illegal.

Sexual intercourse amounts to adultery, but lesser relationships amount to unprofessional relationships, still illegal.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer