Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I enlisted in the army on January 17th, 2017 and am still in…

Customer Question
I enlisted in the army...
I enlisted in the army on January 17th, 2017 and am still in AIT training. I got reclassed from my original AIT. I am currently in hold waiting for classes to pick back up because of Holiday Block leave coming up. I recently found out I was pregnant. No more than 5 weeks. It is very unexpected and I know I️ can get discharged for that. But I thought if a class picked up I️ could graduate without anyone noticing but since I’m in hold and waiting for class, I️ feel like it would become apparent. I️ would just like to know my options..... I know pregnancy falls under one discharge..... but would I be able to apply for some for of VA benefits, more specifically educational.? I will be completing 1 year in the Army after Holiday Block Leave. But I know since I never completed an AIT, I’m not entitled to much. It’s been a trial with the many setbacks and I would just like to know what I can get out of this.? I am currently married and my husband is enrolled in DEERS. Thank you.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Military Law
11/28/2017
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 7 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Are you asking if you are discharged for pregnancy if you rate the GI Bill?

If I am discharged, would I be able to receive from Montgomery GI Bill. Or any educational assistance.

If you are separated for pregnancy the MOST likely characterization of separation would be "general, under honorable conditions"

This would NOT qualify you for any GI Bill benefits (you must have a full honorable conditions discharge to be eligible for GI Bill)

So if the goal is the GI bill, you need to avoid separation.

All that said, it is not automatic they discharge you...they can...but they are not required to.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

What do you mean it’s they’re not required to.?

There is no regulation that requires they separate you for this

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil