Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I'm currently facing a chapter 5-17 and am wondering how…

Customer Question
I'm currently facing a...

I'm currently facing a chapter 5-17 and am wondering how long this process will take.... it's due to a deep depression and anxiety issues... but staying in longer in the army not knowing a date of when I'll be home is only triggering this issue and I'm so lost now with fear

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Yes they are tracking had my appointment with behavioral health today about the chapter but was told nothing about how long it will take

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just wanna know if there's anything he can do to help with this paperwork so that it could move faster... I'm so worried and my anxiety is getting to me

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Military Law
11/27/2017
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 6 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Are you asking if the Amy is required to discharge you...or if they are required to follow any particular timeline for discharge?

Thank you so much for your time sir... Yes I just wanna know if this is a lengthy process... it's just triggering my anxiety and depression.... I just wanna know if there is anything I can do or s ombody to have this paperwork move faster I guess...
The time length I guess yes

Can you speak on the phone? This would allow me to address your concerns directly. There is a nominal ($5) additional charge. I do not time my phone calls...we can converse until you receive the information you need.

As of right now I don't have the funds to really purchase the premium for this site... I'm sorry

No worries...I have some thoughts and will type them up...a few mins please

Okay thank you

THANK YOU for your patience

First, and foremost, it is important to understand that the Amy has NO obligation to process you for 5-17...nor do they have to follow any particular timeline if they do process you. Understanding up front they can keep you for your entire contract is important (in my opinion)

That said, if you have a mental health issue that precludes you from performing your duties, I would expect your commander will want to separate you. And quickly...they can not get a replacement for you until you are separated...so there is good reason to not delay this.

How long can it take?

that depends...in many factors. But generally speaking, from the time they decide to separate until the time you are out typically will not take more than a month or so. They have to give you notice, in writing...and they have to send you to some transitiion classes (TAP/TAMP classes) but that does not take long.

Bottom line: once they decide to separate you, it should not take more than a month or so

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil