Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My divorce papers are finished but my attorney doesn't know…

Customer Question
My divorce papers are finished...
My divorce papers are finished but my attorney doesn't know how to file for my military benefits from my ex-husband. What is the best way to finished this?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Military Law
11/26/2017
Military Lawyer: rayanswers, Military Law Answer Team replied 4 months ago
rayanswers
rayanswers, Military Law Answer Team

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

You need to make sure the divorce decree/property settlement reflects your share and you need a QDRO qualified domestic relations order.It tells the VA how much to pay you, I cannot emphasize how critical this is.This is most commonly subbed out ot a lawyer that specializes in ti, a retired judge, etc.

Reference to Virginia QDRO

http://www.lockequinn.com/articles/qualified-domestic-relations-order-qdro/

Once prepared, all parties and their lawyers sign it and then the judge.This is a flat fee for preparing this expect it to be $350-$500 . If your lawyer says he doesn't know how to do this sounds like you need a different lawyer.This is real common and its real common to screw it up.Don't be one of those folks.

Here is lawyer that specializes in this, see if they can help you

https://www.livesaymyers.com/military-divorce/

https://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/files/C9D2EA3F-0350-D9AF-ACAE-BF37E9BC9FFA/attachments/3745E570-2D15-4E54-A5D2-7CCABC612B56/3232en_divorce-and-vets-benefits.pdf

You really want to be careful here, this is a minefield if done right you get your benefits for rest of your life, it is important and you don't want to mess it up, its twice as hard to fix it.

I do appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars.

There will be a calculation here the lawyer does for the years the person contributed that you were also married.It can be up to 50% if you were married the whole time.

rayanswers
rayanswers
rayanswers, Military Law Answer Team