Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Need help regarding my seperation

Customer Question
Need help regarding my seperation
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Military Law
I am getting separated under 5-17 for sleepwalking. I have already competed the Solider for life classes and will be reviving my phase II physical this week. I was told I have to get a reading by my commander and by legal. Would the reading determine my out date from the military? Or is the reading just to read me my rights and discharge stuff
11/26/2017
Military Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 5 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The reading is to explain your rights and benefits regarding your discharge and what benefits would remain available to you after discharge and which benefits would not remain available to you.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

does it affect my leave date or when I can get my ETS orders?
could I go ahead and get my leave date and ETS orders before my reading ?

Thank you for your reply. I apologize for the delay, but I had some family obligations to attend to yesterday afternoon.

No the reading does not delay your separation, that would go forward based on the commander's recommendations.

is there a way I could speed up the process?
Military Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your reply.

Actually when it comes to the military, the only one who can speed up anything is the commander.

Because my commander is in another base but there is another commander closer working on my stuff. I am currently in the process of trying to get a memo from him to get a flight date and also a memo to turn in my CIF gear early.

Thank you for your reply.

The commander who is handling the process is typically the only one who can possibly request the separation to be expedited, but absent an emergency they usually do not.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney