Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My father is 88 and has dementia, so i am trying to find out…

Customer Question
My father is 88...

My father is 88 and has dementia, so i am trying to find out if he was dishonorably dischaged.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Statewide

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/22/2017
Military Lawyer: Kristofher Beralo,
 replied 4 months ago
Kristofher Beralo

Hello, How are you? I am an attorney who has been in the military for over 15+ years and I would love to help you with your question. What you are seeking for is a document called a DD-214, this will show whether or not your father was dishonorably discharged.

Military Lawyer: Kristofher Beralo,
 replied 4 months ago

There are two way to getting a DD-214:

1. Electronic method. going to eVetRecs
  2. Paper method. By mailing or faxing a form called SF-180.

Since your father is still alive and have dementia, you may need to have a power of attorney to request his records. You will need to attach some additional information along with the SF-180. These information are his Social Security Number, branch of service, date of service, date of birth, and his complete name.

I hope I have answered your question.

Kristofher Beralo
Kristofher Beralo
Kristofher Beralo