Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I'm a retiree with a live in boyfriend. We've been living…

Customer Question
Good Morning, I'm...

Good Morning, I'm a retiree with a live in boyfriend. We've been living together for 3 years. Has there been any changes to cohabitants being able to receive medical benefits?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I'm retired. I don't have a chain of command anymore

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Military Law
11/21/2017
Military Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Is this regarding civil or military benefits? And if civil the state please?

military benefits

Let me opt out as I am not familiar with cohabitation and military insurance benefits. A new contributor should be with you shortly!

Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 7 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Different contributor her. Can you tell me, which state are you living in?

I live in Virginia

Thanks
Federal law will will only provide benefits to legal dependents of military members. Spouses and children.

I asked about which state, since some states allow "common law marriage". If you lived in such a state and could claim common law marriage, you would be eligible for benefits as a dependent

That said, VA does not allow common law marriage...so you would not qualify under this theory.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil