Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Hallo, My question is as such. A male dual national German,

Customer Question
Hallo, My question is...

Hallo, My question is as such. A male dual national German, USA who lives in Germany and has never been to the USA must register for selective services. He has 3 months within his 18th birthday to do so. Should he seek to renounce his US citizenship one day before the three months is up, or after the three months should he still be required to register?. If He should register as to stay within the three months and then thereafter seek to renounce himself of US citizenship, will he be removed from the Selective Service Register? As it stands in "under legal complications" in Travel. State. Gov. "Persons who wish to renounce U.S. citizenship should be aware of the fact that renunciation of U.S. citizenship may have no effect on their U.S. tax or military service obligations " ..if this could be clarified. Thank You.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Overseas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Specifically, if an open appointment to renounce citizenship would first be possible after the three months inside the 18th birthday that one has to register, does the making of the appointment carry any weight?,,and in general how does one proceed.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Military Law
11/21/2017
Military Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

I am a little bit confused. Is he planning to live in the US?

Can you direct me to the place where he read that he must register for selective service?

I was actually expecting you to know what obligations dual nationals of the USA and another country have. It took you this long to answer my question with another question? https://de.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/selective-service-registration/

I'm sorry you are frustrated with me. I will opt out and send this to the "military law" section for another Expert to help you.

Are you saying your last response wasn´t correct? I was just about to thank you.
Military Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 3 months ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is Alex.

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Are you still looking for an answer to your question?

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law