Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My father was discharged from the US Nat'l Guard Reserves…

Customer Question
My father was discharged...

My father was discharged from the US Nat'l Guard Reserves with form DD 256A in 1962. He is still alive and I'm wondering if he qualifies for any Veteran's assistance for Health purposes?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside. They reside in Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No, he has been ill and they have limited resources. It was something that I thought of today and found his discharge papers.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Military Law
11/20/2017
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 5 months ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

This depends...on MANY factors. Has he applied to the VA...and if so what was the response?

Thank you. No he has not applied. He was never in ACTIVE duty. 1957-1960 3 years and Honorably discharged.

Thanks

That is the issue...that is, if he was never on active duty? He would not qualify for VA benefits generally. VA healthcare eligibility is tied to service on active duty.

It IS possible, in very limited circumstances, to qualify if there was no active service, but this is only in cases where a member was injured during their training.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer