Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I have to see my battalion commander next week regarding bah…

Customer Question
I have to see...

I have to see my battalion commander next week regarding bah fraud I was interrogated by cid and I tried to change my address multiple times before this even happened with my command and it wasn't changed but now I believe I'm facing felony charges should I get a lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I'm overseas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Ur not answering any of my questions

Lawyer's Assistant: I apologize.

Bc I already stated I talked to my command

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's all

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Military Law
11/19/2017
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Yes, you should invoke your right to silence and wait until you can speak with a defense counsel. Then you'll be in a better position to provide evidence that you were trying to change your address so that you were getting the correct amount of BAH.

You can also start working on paying back the overage, so that there isn't the issue of outstanding debt. All of things are best done through an attorney, to avoid anyone suggesting that it is "conscientiousness of guilt" that forms the basis for your desire to repay the funds.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

They said I'm going to the battalion commander about it and he determines my punishment what is the most likely action on my situation
I can't call anyways I'm overseas

If you are going to the battalion commander, they are thinking non-judicial punishment.

He would decide the punishment only if you agree to accept that forum. After he talks with you, you'll get to talk to a defense counsel. You'll then be able to decide if you have a good reason to demand trial by court martial, so that you get more due process rules in your favor. If you accept the NJP though, it is just between yourself and the battalion commander.

The most likely action, at NJP, would be a reduction in rank, some lost pay, perhaps some restriction/extra duty. Then the command could try to administratively separate you too. It just depends on how upset command is, and how the evidence looks.

Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer