Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My boyfriend and I are stationed in Alaska, he is currently…

Customer Question
My boyfriend and I are...
My boyfriend and I are stationed in Alaska, he is currently on a deployment and we were wondering if we could get married while he is on his deployment?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Military Law
11/17/2017
Military Lawyer: rayanswers, Military Law Answer Team replied 7 months ago
rayanswers
rayanswers, Military Law Answer Team

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Yes you can a marriage license is good for 90 days here.

One of the advantages to getting married in Alaska is that you can have a friend or relative perform your marriage ceremony. Beautiful locations are another bonus for choosing to have your wedding in Alaska.

ID Requirement:

A Picture ID, such as a driver's license, is required. If the application is mailed or faxed in, it must be witnessed by a Notary Public.

Residency Requirement:

You do not have to be a resident of Alaska.

Previous Marriages:

If divorced within the last 60 days, a certified copy of the divorce decree is needed.

Covenant Marriage:

Alaska does not offer covenant marriages.

Waiting Period:

Three (3) business days

Fees:

Approximately $40

Other Tests:

No blood or medical tests required.

Proxy Marriage:

No

Cousin Marriage:

Yes

Common Law Marriage:

No

Same Sex Marriages:

Yes

Under 18:

A certified copy of a birth certificate is required. In addition, both parents must be present with identification, or if you have a legal guardian they must be present with a court order and identification.

Officiants:

A minister, priest, recognized leader, or rabbi of any church or congregation in the state, a commissioned officer of the Salvation Army, marriage commissioner, or a judicial officer of the state.

Additionally, Alaska allows a friend or relative to perform your marriage ceremony.

"Under Alaska Statute 25.05.261(a)(2) 1, anyone can perform your marriage ceremony, including a friend or relative, if they first obtain a marriage commissioner appointment from an Alaskan court as authorized by AS 25.05.081.2 The person should be 18 years of age or older, and does not need to be a resident of Alaska or the United States in order to perform the ceremony."
Source: Alaska Court System:​ ​Marriage Commissioner Information

Miscellaneous:

License is valid for ninety (90) days anywhere in Alaska.

Copy of Certificate of Marriage:

Bureau of Vital Statistics Alaska Department of Health and Social Services
P.O. Box 110610
Juneau, Alaska###-##-####br />Phone:(###) ###-####br />Fax:(###) ###-####/p>

Residents and nonresidents are eligible to apply for a marriage license. Both parties must be 18 years of age or older to marry without parental consent

Thanks again and congrats on the wedding.This is certainly possible, you would have to travel to Alaska bu it can be done here.Thanks for rating 5 stars.

who does he need to talk to on his side? does the courtroom take care of the actual marriage?

You apply for the license here in county where he is located, if you want to be married at courthouse he gets that from the clerk, how to schedule a judge.I suggest something middle of the week if you can because courthouse and judges are around, Wednesday/Thursday are good days.

Step by step both of you have to go to get license and they marry with judge.

https://www.wikihow.com/Apply-For-a-Marriage-License-in-Alaska