Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I have a question. If I'm accused of doing something and no…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question. If I'm accused of doing something and no evidence is find cab i still be charge for something.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Ohio. Its pretty much he say she say. I'm in the process now.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at the moment

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Military Law
11/16/2017
Military Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

In order for you to be charged with a criminal case and prosecuted, the state has to have at least something called "probable cause." Probable cause is just a reasonable belief that you may have committed a crime.

To convict you, the state needs to prove the charges beyond a reasonable doubt. But it doesn't take much evidence at all to get the ball rolling. Sometimes, the words of a very credible complainant -- even if he or she turns out down the road to have been a liar -- can be all the state needs for them to find probable cause. These "he said/she said" types of cases can get prosecuted, and it's even possible for the state to win them depending upon the facts and circumstances of the case.

So yes, you can be charged with a crime just on the basis of someone's accusation. It happens all the time.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney