Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Married 29 years is wife entitle to My Disability monthly…

Customer Question
Married 29 years is...

Married 29 years is wife entitle to My Disability monthly allotment that I have been receiving for the past 2 years of or marriage?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No just rumors from other veterans that spouse can not get part of my monthly allotment for Vietnam injuries

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am also retired with a pension for police department and we were married for only 22 months before starting this divorce I am the Plaintiff

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Military Law
11/15/2017
Military Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

To be clear this is veteran disability pay?

While 38 USC 5301(a)(1) exempts veteran's disability pay from ordinary creditors, the US Supreme Court case, Rose v Rose stated that this does not apply to court orders requiring a party to support their family.

Please see Here

However, this does not extend to property division during a divorce; disability pay is not to be divided as property; please see here

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: