Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I would like to know if I could legaly get back the portion…

Customer Question
Hello, I would like...

Hello, I would like to know if I could legaly get back the portion of my military pension my wife received during our divorce settlement. I received a 10K settlement and she received a 680.00 a month settlement till I pass starting in 2008. The settlement just does not seem fair and if I knew back in 2008 when we were going through mediation that I cold have held out and had her sign off on just taking her pension and I taking mine I would have.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

VT

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/15/2017
Military Lawyer: NYCLAWYER, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
NYCLAWYER
NYCLAWYER, Lawyer
You can ask the court to modify it on ground of unfairness or mistake. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”