Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My fiancée is employed in Hawaii and we want to be married I…

Customer Question
My fiancée is employed...

My fiancée is employed in Hawaii and we want to be married I can obtain the form here and have stand in will this marriage license get me on his file

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas El Paso where I am at and he is deployed in hawaii

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No but you see there is a lot of corruption on the base there where he is at the commander will not release him and everyone is against him and money was given to get him released. Apparently I am the bait and I need to get on my fiancée file to get him out

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just this cuz I am confused

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Military Law
My fiancée is deployed
11/15/2017
Military Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 8 months ago
Edward Young

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Please tell me where your fiancee is deployed, in what branch of the military does he serve, and what is his rank?

Military Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 8 months ago

What you want is called marriage by proxy. Texas is one of only five states that does allow marriage by proxy to be legally performed. The address for El Paso is:

El Paso County Clerks

104 City County Bldg.
El Paso, TX 77901

(###) ###-####/p>

If you want to get married in some other part of Texas, below is a link to a document that tells you where to go to get a wedding license:

http://www.weddingvendors.com/marriage-license-laws/united-states/texas/

You need the proper forms to get married by proxy. Go to the county clerk and tell them you need the marriage by proxy forms. They should know what this is. In some counties, they will give it to you to send to your fiancee and, in other counties, they will send it themselves. In either case, as soon as he gets it he needs to fill it in and send it back to you or to the county clerk, whoever sends it to him. It does not have to be notarized. Then you take that paperwork and some form of ID for both of you such as a birth certificate, driver's license, or a notarized copy of his military ID, back to the county clerks office to get a marriage license. Then you wait the 72 hours and get married. You can go to a Justice of the Peace or someone who is licensed to marry (i.e. a minister). Then get a certified copy of your marriage license and mail it to the unit. Just call the county clerk in your county or whatever county you will get married in and ask them the process, some counties are easy and some are not and some require different things.

I hope this helps.

Please go ahead and rate me. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Military Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 8 months ago
Go to the tiling the US embassy website and click on the link for citizen services. Then look at the link for contacting social security in Manila. Call them and ask how to get a replacement card.