Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I enlisted in the military with my card in January 2016 as a…

Customer Question
I enlisted in the...

I enlisted in the military with my green card in January 2016 as a reservist and I was discharged with uncharacterized discharge becos I couldn’t ship to basic training due to family reason in November 2016..does it mean I can apply for citizenship as someone that serve in the army

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Nope

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That’s all

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Military Law
11/15/2017
Military Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Military Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Unfortunately in order to petition for naturalization as someone who's served in the military, you are required to have honorable military service for at least one year.

Based on the information you shared, it seems you are just shy of that requirement.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Ok.thanks.it helps a lot
Military Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. Best of luck to you, take care!

Please remember to click 'Finish' and leave a positive rating so that I can be credited for my help with your question. 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Military Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!