Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

My back was broken in a hit & run in 2010 by a US Army

Customer Question
soldier. At the time...
My back was broken in a hit & run in 2010 by a US Army soldier. At the time of the accident it wasn't visibly obvious that my back was broken, and he idiot who hit me was only charged with a misdemeanor hit & run. I contacted his then commanding officer who CLEARLY didn't give a crap that someone under his command had not only ruined my life, but that he BLATANTLY LIED to he police officers who caught him, and the fact that he's AN ADMITTED REPEAT OFFENDER. Because of the reckless behavior of his individual, I have been unable to work enough to support myself, as I had done prior to this accident. The CASE IS STILL OPEN, and because of extenuating circumstances, the statute of limitations does not apply. This individual is now a sergeant, and has had an OUTSTANDING WARRENT FOR HIS ARREST for failure to appear to the hearings. I want this POS to pay for ruining my life, literally and figuratively. He's been able to advance in his career, whereas I have not, thanks to his reckless and irresponsible behavior. I want to seek financial restitution, and I want him to face charges (if possible) for behavior unbecoming of an officer (LYING to the police that (1) he didn't hit me & (2) that I hit HIM! I want restitution for not having been able to work since he totaled my vehicle and my back, and for not being able to support myself in the future. He has gotten away with no more than a slap on the wrist, and the military doesn't give a crap that he's been ruining the lives of civilians (PLURAL, as he admitted to having been in trouble with the police in the past for previous hit and runs). I want to know WHAT WILL IT TAKE TO SEEK JUSTICE????
JA: Are you overseas or stateside? Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: California. I only spoke to his then C.O. & have no idea how to go about finding his current C.O.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you, ***** ***** that's it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Military Law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want to know how to have him charged with "Conduct" unbecoming of an officer, not "behavior."
11/15/2017
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 1 month ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I CLEARLY stated that(a) I'm in California, so WHY is a lawyer who's is only licensed in ARIZONA responding to my question?
(b) I SPECIFICALLY STATED that I WANT FINANCIAL RESTITUTION,
(c). I want him CHARGED WITH CONDUCT UNBECOMING OF AN OFFICER, for violating the law and for BLATANTLY LYING to the police.
(d) I want to know how to CONTACT HIS CURRENT C.O.

This question is in the military law section...that is why I responded (the fact I am licensed in AZ is not relevant in this regard).

Can you speak on the phone? This would allow me to address your concerns directly. There is a nominal ($5) additional charge. I do not time my phone calls...we can converse until you receive the information you need.

If you are unwilling to speak on the phone I will opt out of this question and allow others to assist, if they are willing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is obviously a scam to squeeze MORE money for half-assed answers. That's TWICE that you've responded WITHOUT answering my questions.

Not sure why you are claiming scam...I have not provided an answer...I asked a few questions, in order to try and understand your issues.

You seem upset...and your question is complex...if you are unwilling to speak on the phone, I am happy to opt out...perhaps someone else will assist you

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer