Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I was njp on a ship and unable to request anything other…

Customer Question
I was njp on...

I was njp on a ship and unable to request anything other than taking the punishment. After deployment I suffered from an anxiety disorder and went to visit my sick family member during 96 hour vacation,. I was njp fir leaving the area even after being back on time. This started my discharge and was issued an oth for misconduct since the first njp was for steroid use. Do I have a leg to stand on to get an upgrade

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

This happen in North Carolina but I now reside in fl

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

I'm am already discharged and. Not offered a chance just discharged shortly after

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Military Law
11/14/2017
Military Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 5 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Getting your discharge upgraded is going to be highly unlikely in the circumstance you described. The discharge was for using unauthorized substances, it was not related to your anxiety disorder or your sick family. If you can prove the steroid use was prescribed for a valid medical reason then you stand a better chance of appealing the discharge to get it upgraded/modified by the discharge review board. However, based on the facts you provided above, there is insufficient reason for the review board to modify your discharge.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

If the steroid use was due to substantial weight lost while deployed prior to heading to a military school?

Thank you for your reply.

If the steroid use was not prescribed by a doctor, they are not going to change the discharge classification in most cases.

Even if the lower leadership told me so I could pass sniper school?

Thank you for your reply.

I am afraid any prescription drug requires a doctor's prescription, including steroids.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney