Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My spouse and I are stationed overseas. While on leave we…

Customer Question
My spouse and I...

My spouse and I are stationed overseas. While on leave we entrusted our leased vehicle to a friend. He drove the car without letting us know and he hit a boar. The impact caused the turbo on our vehicle to fall off and it has totaled out to nearly $5,000. We have texts from him saying he would pay us back for all the damages before we took the car to get fixed. In the event that he goes back on his word on paying us for the damages would it be possible to sue him? I would really appreciate guidance on this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

We are stationed in Germany, but it happened while we were on leave en route from Italy Aviano to Ramstein Germany

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Yes our leadership is aware but we’re trying to figure out if worst case scenario

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It also is complicated because we’ve pcsed to Germany and he’s still in Italy but he will be arriving in Germany in February.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Military Law
11/13/2017
Military Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If he was driving the car and your insurance will not cover the damage, then he is liable for the damage he caused. If he does not pay, then you could sue him for the damage he caused and if you are both going to be in Germany, even though it happened in Italy, you can sue him in Germany over this.

However, if you have insurance and comprehensive coverage, I would let the insurance company pay and then they can go after him for recovery of whatever it is they had to pay.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.