Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Someone contacted me for a service and they came to my home…

Customer Question
Someone contacted me for...

Someone contacted me for a service and they came to my home on base. Can I get in trouble?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Statrside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No not yet No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Military Law
11/12/2017
Military Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Good morning. I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today.
On military installations, the DoD Authorization Act, Section 806, Employment Opportunities for Military Spouses, passed on November 8, 1985 permits home-based businesses. This law was written specifically to give spouses the opportunity to earn supplemental income.If you open a commercial venture in family housing, you must first obtain prior permission from the base commander. This applies to family housing in all branches of the service. The family housing management branch on your base, can help you ensure that your request is submitted through the proper procedures.Every installation has its own rules about what kinds of businesses can and cannot run on a base. Some of those rules are based on the service's regulations, while some are made at the base level.So, if you are operating an unregistered home-based business on base in the U.S. and you did not register, or had no knowledge that you needed to register, most times there is no negative repercussions for doing so.Unless you're operating childcare or another highly visible business like personal training out of your on-base home or yard, on base officials are unlikely to fine or penalized you. In mist situations the command and will make you register, and not penalize you.I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars so that I will receive credit and payment for assisting you with your question.
If you have any other questions please just ask.