Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I received an honorable discharge with an re-4 code for

Hi, I received an honorable...
Hi, I received an honorable discharge with an re-4 code for alcohol rehabilitation failure back in 2006. Since my discharge I have stopped drinking and have had no further incidents with alcohol. What are the chances to get this information removed or changed (particularly the alcohol rehabilitation failure)?
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: No I'be been out for almost 12 years
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/11/2017
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. What do you mean "removed"? Is there an error on your DD214?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

That was a question... What do you mean "removed"? Is there an error on your DD214?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No there wasn't an error, I mean can I have it changed or upgraded? Or is it permanently there?

Is it possible to modify a DD214 (to "upgrade" it from "general" to "honorable", or to remove language)? Certainly. That is possible.

The Board of Corrections for Military Records can do this.

However, it is by no means automatic...

In order to grant an "upgrade" the board of corrections will require the applicant provide evidence of "error or injustice". Only when provided with compelling evidence of error or injustice will the board of corrections make a change to a military record. The board of corrections grants the military with a "presumption of regularity"...basically they presume the record is correct. The burden to rebut that presumption is on the applicant.

So...if you want to change your record? You have to prove there is an error in the record. For example, if they discharged you improperly AND you can prove it? That would be a basis for upgrade.

But unless you have such evidence, the board is not going to make any changes to your record.

I am very sorry to have to bear bad news.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer