Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Is it fraternization if an Army Officer is dating a Marine…

Is it fraternization if...

Is it fraternization if an Army Officer is dating a Marine Emlisted SNCO? Never served together or anything. Relationship formed outside of military and no chance of ever working together.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No I have not

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That’s about it

11/11/2017
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Unfortunately yes, it would be fraternization according to DA Pam 600-35. The exception concerning a relationship forming outside of the military is for reserve and national guard members or relationships between active and reserve/national guard.

Two active duty members, one officer and one enlisted, may not be in a dating relationship, even across branches. That question is specifically addressed in para 2-11 of that regulation.

http://www.apd.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/web/ARN3481_p600_35_WEB_FINAL.pdf

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Allen M., Esq.