Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Does a chapter 11 discharge from the army disqualify you…

Customer Question
Does a chapter 11...

Does a chapter 11 discharge from the army disqualify you from becoming a police officer?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?

New Jersey. How do I know if it is officially filed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

The discharge was in 2010

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just wondering if the discharge disqualifies me from becoming a police officer.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Military Law
11/10/2017
Military Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Hi!
no thank you

Hi, just a moment while I review some things for you...While I'm doing that, could you tell me what agency this is for? Is it state police? A county sheriff? City police? Campus police?

interested in working for any agency. Either state or local town/city police

Understood, one moment...

Ok, so unfortunately, the only organization that can answer this for you with 100% accuracy is the organization itself, using their own internal policies. In general, police officers typically have to pass a stringent background test. This means that their credit must be pulled and bankruptcies will always show up on a credit report. However, it is highly unlikely that you will be denied a job because you filed for bankruptcy. WHat would be of more concern to the agency will be the debts that you incurred. For instance, if you incurred significant tax or gambling debt and it was the reason for your bankruptcy, then it is possible that they would call into question your judgment. Judgment, as you know, is something that police officers must have because of the nature of their work. Regardless, because bankruptcy can be very easily filed and because bankruptcies disappear from your credit report after 7 years, it usually tends to carry no weight or little weight in employment applications. They will be more concerned with your criminal history and psychological evaluation. In addition, your physical fitness will come into play.

What other questions did you have for me?

my question was not about bankruptcy. I am asking about a discharge from the army. chapter 11- failure to adapt

I see what you mean. I assumed it was a chapter 11 bankruptcy. If that is the case, then it is still going to be up to the organization to make that determination. Every police department has different internal policies that they use in making their determination as to whether to hire a new cadet. A chapter 11 usually is not going to be an automatic bar, but it may mean that they may have a superior ask you more detailed questions about your military history and the reasons why you received a chapter 11. I would prepare some statements and some letters of support and recommendation from people to show your potential employer. Generally, although I do not have a crystal ball, I can't imagine it would keep you from being hired.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer