Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I am an DoD civilian stationed in Germany. I was told wants…

Customer Question
I am an DoD...

I am an DoD civilian stationed in Germany. I was told CID wants to interview me in a case, but the last time I was interviewed, it effected my entire work interactions. They provided my leadership with statements that were incomplete which caused a formal investigation against me. What are my rights as a civil***** *****ving overseas when being questioned by CID?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Overseas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

Yes. I had my credentials revoked as a result and they said I was emotional causing my command to believe I could not do my job duties. This is not what they said to me when they put me on paid admin leave.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Military Law
11/8/2017
Military Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The problem is that you have no choice but to speak to CID or you can be terminated for cause. CID has the power and authority to investigate matters on behalf of your employer, who whether you are a contractor or direct civilian hire, would be the government. You have a legal duty to cooperate in all investigations.

You are not supposed to be harassed for telling the truth and if you are, THEN you have a right to file a whistleblower claim through your EEO and even a suit for retaliation and harassment against the employer for harassing you for cooperating truthfully in a CID investigation. If you would like legal representation to come into the interview with you, then you can ask JAG or hire an attorney to be in there with you to assist you with the interview, but they cannot say anything, only make sure your rights are protected.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney