Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

If I am in the process of being discharged for unauthorized…

If I am in the...
If I am in the process of being discharged for unauthorized absences, can I get a general discharge for my suicidal thoughts if I never mentioned it to my company?
11/8/2017
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

YOu can certainly disclose this and request they separate for the medical issue. But generally speaking, a separation for misconduct will trump a medical separation...so the better way to address this is to raise the mental health issues as part of the hearing you are entitled to

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer